Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Bejeweled Blitz High Score Strategies

Just about every week I'm asked via Facebook wall posts and email messages just how I achieved my current Bejeweled Blitz high score. Now, I'm not the best player in the world, but last week I scored 1.2 million points in one game, which isn't too shabby. This article is dedicated to every friend who has asked "how do you do it?" and/or wants to increase his/her own high score. I hope my strategies help you and would love to hear about it if they do.
 
My current all time Bejeweled Blitz high score

Scan the Board Before You Start Clicking
This is probably my most unique strategy. You can actually start playing before the game voice says "go". But I spend those precious first few seconds scanning the board. I simultaneously look for multiples of 4 or 5 to make power gems and get a feel for the predominant gem color.
Go For Blazing Speed
Once I start clicking I go for speed, blazing speed to be specific. Blazing speed makes the board flash and just about every successful move you make is treated like a power gem. It's hard to maintain but you can go into blazing speed multiple times throughout the game. Blazing speed tends to generate lots of power gems which include multiplier gems. The best way to get frequent multiplier gems is to play very quickly and the best way to get high scores is to get as many multiplier gems as possible, which leads to my next tip.
Aim For Six or More Multiplier Gems
Activating multiplier gems is a high priority as they multiply your score for every move for the rest of the game. My best scores tend to be achieved with reaching multipliers of seven or more in one game I believe my current high score was achieved with a multiplier gem of eight). A multiplier gem of seven means that once the gem is activated, every move is multiplied by seven (so 1,000 points becomes 7,000 and 10,000 becomes 70,000, etc.). While I am constantly scanning the board for the best possibilities (e.g. anything that might lead to another multiplier gem) I am still quickly clicking every combination that I see in the meantime to keep the speed up.
Bottom Up, Middle Out
If no one area seems particularly advantageous I play from the bottom up (because of the potential for more interactions with all the gems above) and from the middle out (there are more gems in the middle than in a corner). But if I get stuck I tend to check the perimeter rather than click "Hint" as that tends to work faster for me.
Intense Focus
While the bulk of the Bejeweled Blitz games I play are carried on while I'm multitasking (e.g. on hold on the telephone or watching videos), these low focus games do not tend to result in high scores. Most of my high scoring games are a result of intense focus. The game only lasts one minute. That's sixty seconds. So if I want to achieve a high score, I eliminate as many distractions as possible and focus solely on the game for that one minute.
Boosts
With the introduction of Bejeweled Blitz coins to buy boosts we have more options. While I've noticed that some of my other high scoring friends tend to pick the "scrambler" boost, I personally haven't had much luck with that one. I usually only use my boosts until I hit what I think is a decent high score for the week and then save the rest of my coins for the next week. When I do use boosts I tend to use three at a time (the maximum allowed). I choose the "mystery gem," "+ 5 seconds" and "free multiplier." I don't use the "detonator" because it seems that most of the special gems are placed so that you can activate them with 3-4 moves and the other boosts seem more advantageous to me. On the rare occasion that I only have enough coins for one boost I choose the "free multiplier." 
Power Gems
My favorite power gem is currently the Phoenix Prism but I get higher scores with the Kanga Ruby. I think all of my 1 million plus scores were obtained with the Kanga Ruby power gem. 
Best wishes for high scores in Bejeweled Blitz!

PS I'm debating starting a separate blog for game tips. Does it bother any of my inspirational readers to have the occasional game tip article here? Would game tip people rather have a separate blog for that? Please share your thoughts. I'd love to hear them!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment