Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Letters to a Young Poet" Book Review

This was one of my 12 Great Books to read in 2012 selections and I'm glad I included it. I've heard from more than one source that this is a great book for poets and writers of all levels of accomplishment. The book consists of ten letters from Rainer Maria Rilke to a young poet he felt a keen kinship toward. Rilke's compassion and kind heart brought the letters to life. He clearly cared deeply for his protege and I pesonally felt like the letters were like a series of thoughtful and inspiring warm hugs. Some letters spoke to me more than others but it was a good read. I'll include a few of the quotes I found most inspiring and thought provoking.

"Pretend you are the very first man and then write what you see and experience, what you love and lose." Page 11

"If you will love what seems to be insignificant and will in an unassuming manner, as a servant, seek to win the confidence of what seems poor, then everything will become easier, more harmonious, and somehow more conciliatory." Page 34

"Perhaps all the dragons in our life are really princesses just waiting to see us just once being beautiful and courageous. Perhaps everything fearful is basically helplessness that seeks our help." Page 80.

"Everything that causes you to be more than you have been in your best hours is right." Page 88.

Wherever you are in your journey of life, I hope you will have the courage to be more than you have been. May God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment