Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fun Flowers and Foliage: This Week in My Maryland Garden

This week brought our first hosta blooms. Although we grow hosta more for their foliage (leaves) than flowers, it's still nice to see the delicate purple and blue blooms in our Maryland garden.

 Day lilies are still going strong. I like this orange double bloom with red accents.

 Yellow and red bicolor marigold flowers.

This bee seems to enjoy the echinacea (purple coneflower). Bees have been flocking to these flowers, especially on the larger plants. Even three of my seedling echinaceas have flowered already. 

I was thrilled to see this caladium leaf popping up through the soil. The creamy leaf background with red accents is striking. I'd planted the bag of mixed caladium bulbs in late March (per package instructions) and had counted them as a loss because I hadn't seen any sign of them yet.

So this second caladium leaf makes two out of eight bulbs that bloomed. I'm hoping to see six more in the next few weeks but won't be shocked if no more pop up. I like the pink center and it's a nice contrast with the fading old fashioned bleeding heart foliage.

Hope you enjoyed this week's flower and foliage photo garden tour!

What was your favorite photo from this post? What's blooming in your area right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment