Thursday, July 12, 2012

"Disciplines of a Godly Woman" Book Review and Top Ten Quotes


I enjoyed this book so much that it made it into my list of top ten non fiction books that I've ever read. Barbara Hughes has such an honest open heart and deep love for God and others she inspires readers to love more, serve more and spend more time with the Lord. She shares heart wrenching and soul inspiring stories as well as useful yet easily understandable doctrinal information.

I'd heartily recommend it to any christian woman looking to deepen her walk with the Lord. Often when I finish an eye opening book I like to type up my book notes and then pass the book on so someone else can benefit from it. However, this book was so chock filled with useful information I'd end up typing up half the book so I've decided to keep it. As mentioned back in January's Twelve Great Books to Read in 2012 post, I've been working on this book for a while but the time spent in it was definitely worth it.

Here are ten of my favorite quotes from the book (and it was really hard to pick just ten!).
  1. "Remember that the Gospel is the foundation for every single thing you are and do." p. 26
  2.  "Submission to God's will is the true heart of worship." p. 46
  3. "True worship springs from within our spirit, from spontaneous affections of the heart - as it did from the heart of David when he wrote Psalm 130: 'I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the LORD more than watchmen wait for the morning' (vv. 5-6)." p.60
  4. "Let Christ be the Lord of your daytime and your prime time... Be different because you have a Christian mind." p. 71
  5. "If you are filled with God's Word, your life can then be informed and directed by God - your relationships at home, your parenting, your career, your ethical decisions, your internal moral life. The way to a Christian mind is through God's Word!" p. 72
  6. "Women who love God and love his Word find sources of joy and satisfaction that surpass any the world has to offer." p. 84
  7. "Real love stands apart from circumstances and sees the object of love with all its flaws - and loves anyway. Real love is intentional, an act of the will. It's respect that's given because it's the Lord who requires that respect be given... Giving loving respect to your husband is God's will - even when he doesn't deserve it. Watch your actions and listen to your words. God sees and hears." p. 154
  8. "We were designed to work, to create. Good deeds are the redeemed heart's response of gratitude for the gift of God's grace." p. 172
  9. "Every person we encounter is an eternal soul of immense value - a person we should see in the same way that God sees him or her." p. 195
  10. "The disciplined godly woman rids herself of associations, habits and attitudes that impede godliness. Then she invests her energy in the pursuit of godliness." p. 211
 I'm a far way from being the disciplined godly woman that Barbara Hughes clearly is but, by the grace of God, He's working on me and I pray that His love will be reflected in my life. May God bless you dear reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment