Friday, July 3, 2015

Giant Zinnias, Gladiola, Mr. Optimist Dahlia and Day Lilies

Giant red zinnia: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2015
Happy floral Friday and welcome to "this week in my Maryland garden!" I finally have a true red giant zinnia! A few weeks ago I shared the giant orange one that came from the "red" seed packet but I hadn't had a red one bloom until now. It was worth the wait because I love it! The flower is about the size of my palm (about 4" in diameter).
Bicolor gladiola: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2015
Our gladiolas have started blooming. I think this was the very first one to pop. I wasn't sure if they'd come back after last year's harsh winter so they're a pleasant surprise (we have two of these).
"Giant" white zinnia: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2015
This white zinnia also came from the same "Giant Red Zinnia" seed packet that produced the red and orange ones (and, not yet shared on this blog, but pink, peach, mauve and purple zinnias too). While all the others are producing large flowers the white plant is producing smaller flowers, about 1-2" in diameter. But it's producing more of them, and they're pretty so I don't mind.
Mr. Optimist bicolor dahlia: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2015
Our Mr. Optimist dahlias have started blooming too. They don't look like the photo on the tuber package (it had more of a bright fushia main color) but they are gorgeous. Even nicer in person.
Creamy yellow day lilies: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2015
In addition to the El Dorado and double orange day lilies these lovely yellow and cream day lilies have started blooming. Our day lily bed is exploding with color and I love it.

That's all for this week. I hope my flower photos made you smile! Happy 4th of July to all celebrating! May God bless America and may He bless you too!

Related posts:
El Dorado day lily: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2015/06/sunflower-day-lilies-vinca-and-mystery.html
Orange giant zinnia: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2015/06/coreopsis-zinnia-hydrangea-dahlia-and.html
Day lilies and more: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2015/06/day-lilies-carnations-pansies-primrose.html

No comments:

Post a Comment