Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Kindness Challenge Days 1-6

In my last post, I mentioned that March started with a bang. It sure did! I had planned a nice calm morning to ease into the challenge. Unfortunately, my kindness intention was tested before I even got out of bed.

First I woke with a migraine headache. Pain is not conducive to kindness, but neither is it an excuse to be unkind. I determined to stick to my commitment to the kindness challenge despite the pain.

Then, as soon as I got out of bed, a cold breeze blew over me, leading me to quickly identify a major security violation. I wanted to reprimand the perpetrator but instead determined to pray first and discuss the issue in the kindest way possible.

A few minutes later, Braveheart the cat started getting sick. And she got sick all over the place, in at least three different rooms and nine different places. My poor cat clearly suffered as she made pitiful cries between heaves and I thought I'd have to take her to the emergency vet. Only I couldn't drive because my migraine also caused visual disturbances.

So I had to call my husband. And be kind. And not say anything unkind to him. The way I interpreted this challenge meant I could present the facts, but not complain. I guess there's a reason it's called a "challenge." My husband reacted compassionately and even offered to come right home, fix the security violation (I couldn't reach the source), determine whether Braveheart really needed an emergency veterinarian appointment and help clean up the cat messes (wow!).

By the time he got home, my migraine medicine had kicked in and Braveheart was drinking water, keeping it down and enjoying my attention. She got up and walked over to him with her tail up so we decided she was going to be ok. We both agreed to pay extra attention to her and be extra alert to her eating habits. He did everything he'd promised to do on the phone and went back to work. And as I type this, I am filled with gratitude and thankful to God for leading me to this Kindness Challenge.

If I had reacted differently, my husband probably would have too and the day might have kept spiraling downward. Instead, I felt like he really listened and cared and that reinforced my determination to reward him with kindness.  

Days two through six were easy compared to day one but they weren't challenge free. I've been meditating on Bible verses about kindness and praying even more than usual. I haven't been perfect at this but when I slip I apologize and I think it's going very well. 

I hope you have a day filled with kindness, love, joy and peace! May God bless you and all you do!

Related posts:
Kindness Challenge Invitation: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2018/03/march-kindness-challenge-invitation.html
Braveheart and the Sandman wrestling: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2016/08/cute-kittens-wrestle-and-surrender.html
Loving atmosphere: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2012/01/creating-loving-atmosphere.html

No comments:

Post a Comment