Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Sugar Free September! Days 2-8

Giant star-shaped cactus flower: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2015
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who were kind enough to encourage me on my journey to curb my sugar intake and hopefully lose weight too! There have been many temptations but so far my sugar free eating plan is going well. Eight days in, I've stuck to my plan with only two exceptions and I'm one pound closer to a healthy weight.

The two exceptions were 1) a really bland dinner... I just couldn't stand the flavorlessness and had some watered down orange juice with it. About 1 oz juice to 8 oz water. Haven't worked out the sugar grams there but I'm guessing it was over 5. Lesson learned: I'm making sure we have lemon juice on hand now because sprinkling that on would have done the trick without the sugar. 2) I was super thirsty on the way home from a day trip and had already drank my 3 stainless steel bottles of water and I had 3 sips of my husband's fruity drink. That might have been less than 5 grams of sugar but it definitely wasn't part of my plan. The real issue with this is it led to intense sugar cravings for the rest of that day and all night. Lessons learned: I now know those kinds of drinks are not good for me at all and I'm better off waiting until I can get some water (or even better, bringing a fourth bottle on future trips).

Most of the time, though, advance planning made sticking to my sugar free eating plan much easier. Not having junk food easily accessible, having lots of fresh veggie snacks easy to reach in the refrigerator, bringing healthy snacks on road trips and so on. Basically, I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to eat healthfully and as hard as possible to eat junk.

Starting this second week of September I'm feeling good about this journey and thankful to those of you joining and encouraging me! May God bless you!

Related posts:
Sugar free September post 1: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2015/09/sugar-free-september-day-1.html
Amazing berry banana smoothie: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2011/11/amazing-berry-banana-smoothie-recipe.html
Banana cream health smoothie: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2012/03/banana-cream-health-smoothie-recipe.html

2 comments:

  1. Great work on your goals thus far! I really understand that craving. We have to have a certain amount of sugary items in the house because a person here has hypoglycemia. Of course, that tests my willpower big time! So one step at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay :) Can the sugar items in the house be ones you don't like? Just a thought. They have to be easily reachable, I imagine... which makes them even more tempting. But another idea is to put them out of sight at least. So... easy to access for the person who needs them but out of sight for the person who doesn't. Wish you a big hug!

      Delete