Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fun Ideas from the Children's Garden at the U.S. National Arboretum

My husband and I enjoyed a walk in the U.S. National Arboretum's Children's Garden, more formally known as the Washington Youth Garden. I thought they had some clever gardening ideas and hope you enjoy the photos. Above is a garden room created by leaving space in a three walled giant sunflower garden. The sunflowers aren't blooming yet but I thought this was a neat idea and it will look even more fantastic once the giant sunflowers show their sunny yellow faces.

Here is a mini garden in a wheelbarrow. The radish seedlings are already up (and I'm thrilled to find out that I'm not the only one growing seedlings in this heat) and it looks like their flower seedlings will soon sprout.
 They have colorful signs with plant names. The photo above is from the herb garden section but they also have a berry bush section, at least two butterfly gardens, a huge vegetable garden and more.

 This giant bird seems like the garden's mascot and probably serves as a scarecrow too.

Seeing this literal garden bed made me smile and probably laugh out loud. I thought it was a highly creative idea.

If you live in the Washington D.C. area and have kids (or just like interesting gardens), you'll probably enjoy the Washington  Youth Garden. The vegetable, herb and fruit gardens aren't always open to the public (even with the main part of the U.S. National Arboretum is open) so you might want to call ahead and make sure the gates will be unlocked before driving over.

May God bless you this summer and always!

1 comment:

  1. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. калининградский гуманитарный колледж

    ReplyDelete