Monday, February 4, 2013

Orchid Delights at Longwood Gardens

This weekend my husband and I took a trip up to Longwood Gardens, PA for their Orchid Extravaganza. It was a visual delight! Above is my favorite orchid photo from the trip.

This amazing orchid arch looks even more impressive in person. I suspect it is over twenty feet high. Behind it you can see another huge orchid display (hanging from the ceiling) and further in the background there is a circle of roses surrounding a lotus fountain.

 Here's a close up of one of the featured orchids.

Here's one of their huge orchid balls. I think it was about 10 feet in diameter. They had some behind the scenes employees showing how they put the giant orchid balls together and, while I don't expect to ever make one myself, I enjoyed seeing how it was done.

This is the orchid display that greets you when you enter the Longwood Gardens conservatory from their "new" side entrance. You can see the back side of this display in the first photo of this post.

Hope you enjoyed my photographic mementos of our trip. I love to visit conservatories in winter. What are some of your favorite winter activities?

May God bless you!

PS To the couple who asked me to take their photo and let me take one of them with my camera - mine didn't turn out that well so I didn't post it on the blog but if you want a copy just email me at lovejoypeas@gmail.com and I'll send it. And if you want to be featured just send me the one I took with your camera phone (assuming it came out). It was great meeting you!

No comments:

Post a Comment