Friday, August 8, 2014

Sunflower, Dahlia, Marigold, Gladiola and Bachelor Button Flowers From My Garden

Cheerful sunflower: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
Happy floral Friday and welcome to "this week in my Maryland garden!" Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers to see. They're just so cheerful. I use them as a decor feature inside too.
Red, yellow and white dahlia: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
As much as I love sunflowers, I think dahlias are my favorite flowers to grow. You get so many, they keep blooming strongly through frost, and you get some surprises along the way. This is the only dahlia bloom we've had this year with such a flame like center, white tips and pale yellow base petals. Definitely a nice surprise.
Bee on yellow marigold: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
 The marigolds are still going strong and the bees appreciate them.
First gladiola: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
I think this is my first gladiola bloom of all time and now we have two plants in bloom. I'm not sure if the third bulb I planted in spring is going to bloom but I hope it does.
First bachelor button: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
The poor bachelor button plants... I started them from seed last year. About seven made it through the hot summer. Then we had a (diseased) giant tree cut down this spring and parts of it landed on them. I thought they were all dead but three managed to spring back to life... only to be eaten all the way to the ground by a mystery animal just when they were in bud (before they bloomed). Finally, this week two of the plants had flowers! I feel like it's a miracle.

Our obedient plants started blooming after I took the photos for this week's post so hopefully next week I'll have a photo of one for you with a lovely butterfly on it. 

I hope you enjoyed this week's mini photo tour of my Maryland garden! May God bless you!

Do you have any miracle plants or flowers? I'd love to hear the story behind them!

Related posts:
Teddy bear sunflower: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/teddy-bear-sunflower-black-eyed-susan.html
Sunflower garden room: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2012/06/fun-ideas-from-childrens-garden-at-us.html
Dramatic sunflower: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/sunflowers-dahlias-marigolds-verbena.html
Bees on flowers: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/08/busy-bees-on-beautiful-blooms-zinnia.html

2 comments:

  1. How gorgeous! Nothing signifies summer more than sunflowers in full bloom. Yours all just look spectacular. I'm sure you have a symphony of flowers this week. I hope you'll share some wide shots of your whole garden. Thank you so much for sharing! All the best to you!

    Sam Lucas @ Green Collar

    ReplyDelete