Tuesday, January 3, 2012

12 Great Books to Read in 2012


Every year as part of my resolutions/goals for the year I have a goal of reading 50 books during the calendar year. It's usually one of my easy and enjoyable resolutions. This is the first year I've named some specific books as part of my goals. Other than the Bible (listed first), they're in no particular order. The general themes are faith, health and relationships as those are my priorities for this year. Hopefully at least one of the twelve books I've selected will inspire you. 

1. The Bible.  This year my plan is to read it in chronological order using the New American Standard version. No other reading is as important as God's word.

2. Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith by Scotty Smith.  This book was a gift from my Pastor brother, Joshua. I've been reading and praying the daily entries before bed. The book was probably meant to be read in the morning but my morning routine's rather full and I wanted something like this for my evening routine.

3. Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes. Late in 2011 I joined a ladies' Bible study and even though they were wrapping up this book I jumped in and joined them on the last three chapters. Now I want to start at the beginning and read the whole thing.

4. Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke. I forget where but I remember reading that this book had inspired someone greatly and I was intrigued.

5. Mighty Be Our Powers by Lehmah Gbowee and Carol Mithers. After reading an article about Ms. Gbowee I knew I had to read her book and look forward to it.

6. Authentic Relationships: Discover the Lost Art of One Anothering by Wayne Jacobsen.  Came across this while looking for another book and decided I wanted to read it.

7.  Fix Your Feet by Philip Maffetone. I think this one was recommended by www.peertrainer.com and as I have some foot pain and don't feel like seeing the doctor in person I thought I'd read this book first and see if Mr. Maffetone's advice might suffice.

8. Super Immunity by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I've been a fan of Dr. Fuhrman's since reading his Eat to Live book which I bought after reading my library copy (this is a rare thing for me as I'm at maximum book storage capacity in my home and have to purge an item from my collection every time I add one).

9. Love is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive by Gary Chapman. His The Five Love Languages book was really eye opening for me so I look forward to this book.

10. Treasured Moments with Mother Graham by Rose Adams and Donna Lee Toney. Hoping that this will read like a dear, faith filled, grandmother imparting her best spiritual advice and lessons.

11. Stage Your Home to Sell (or Keep): Easy Ways to Improve the Value of Your Home by Jean Nayar. It's unlikely that we'll be moving but making the house nicer makes my hubby happy so I consider this part of the relationship category.

12. The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health by T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, Howard Lyman and John Robbins. This book may be one of my main motivators for wanting to pursue a vegan diet. I started reading it in 2011 and thought that I had finished it but as I was neatening a shelf I saw the telltale bookmark sticking out of it and, even though the reading can be challenging, I do want to finish this book this year.

What books are you planning on reading this year? Whatever your reading plans, I wish you the happiest of New Years and pray that God will shine His face and favor upon you!

No comments:

Post a Comment