Monday, August 18, 2014

My Simplifying Home Journey: Week 7, Day 7

Yellow zinnia about to open: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
Seven weeks seem to have flown by. This was my least productive week so far in the simplifying home challenge. I'm embarrassed to say, unless you count keeping the area from getting worse, I made no progress in the office/computer room, this week's designated area. Because I have nothing to show you in that area I'll share some before and after pictures from a different space that I didn't get to cover in last week's post (because I try to keep it to five photos or less per post so the posts load quickly for you).
Hamper nook "before": Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
This is what I think of as my hamper nook. In the "before" picture above, the hamper is the wicker thing on the left. Then, going clockwise, there's a pile of clutter, a tote filled with old clothes that I need to try on, a pretty box filled with accessories, and two baskets.

The tote has been there for quite a while. So long that I threw a pillow on top of it and turned it into a cat bed (they love it because they can see down the hallway into the kitchen from that spot). One basket is supposed to be for new clothes that need to be washed before I wear them (I'm allergic to a lot of chemicals) and the other for a beautiful afghan hand made for me by a dear friend (the cats had been happy pawing it to death so I am giving it a breather but still want it handy).  
Hamper nook "after": Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
The first step was moving everything out of the area. Next was clutter clearing. This included trying on all those clothes that were in the tote (most are going to charity) and moving the afghan closer to where I use it. It also involved getting rid of the empty shoe box and two loose boards that had been to the left of the tote. They'd been there for a long time too... so long I'd stopped noticing them.

After clearing the clutter and vacuuming I decided that I like having a cat bed under the window but don't like the plastic look of the tub. So I went to Goodwill, found a brown sheet, washed it and draped it over the tote. The tote now holds useful extra blankets and throw pillows.

When walking into the room and facing it straight on, the tote/cat bed looks decent; however, it doesn't look nice from the sides. Eventually I plan to sew a cover for the tote (or get a proper little storage bench) so the area looks better. This is the first thing I notice when walking into the master bedroom so I might sew a big red heart in the front center of the tote cover.

Baby cat ignoring the camera: Copyright © Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
I love my "Baby" cat. She's not much into being photographed but she brings me a lot of joy. She's feral born so tends to hide from anyone but me but she follows me around like a dog, greets me at the door and sleeps either on my lap or at my feet when I settle down to read for a while. She's definitely part of what makes our abode a home.

Thank you for joining me and thank you to Trina of Beginner Beans for making her Simplifying Home challenge a free resource. May God bless you and Trina too!

What makes your place feel like home? How do you organize your dirty laundry?

Related posts:
Week 1, day 1: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week.html
Week 2, day 7: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_14.html
Week 3, day 3: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_17.html

Week 3, day 7: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_21.html   

Week 4, day 3: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_24.html  

Week 4, day 7: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_28.html

Week 5, day 7: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/08/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week.html

Week 6, day 7: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/08/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_11.html 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment