Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Simplifying Home 8 Week Journey: Week 3, Day 3

Overall kitchen counter "after": Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, July 2014
I'm three days into week three of Beginner Beans' eight week Simplifying Home challenge. While I haven't gotten as much done as I'd like I am happy with my first project. Like last week, I identified the three most important tasks (MITs) for our weekly focus area (kitchen). Above you can see my newly organized kitchen counter (MIT #1).
Kitchen counter "before": Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, July 2014
Above is the "before" picture of the messiest part of the counter. The intention was to have coupons and sale flyers in one folder and charitable mailings in another but when the folders got full we just kept sticking them wherever they'd fit. The shallow glass bowl was supposed to be a temporary landing place for things to be put away regularly but it got filled to overflowing without our noticing. Overall, this part of the counter was a hot mess.
Kitchen counter "after": Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, July 2014
I love the newly organized space. The banana bowl is back in front of the folders with fresh bananas and I think this new arrangement will work out nicely (as long as I go through those folders regularly). I took away the catch all bowl because it was just a source of procrastination. 
Phone stand "before": Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, July 2014
While I was working on the messy counter I realized that the phone basket/stand area was a mess too. I wish I'd taken a photo looking down into the basket but it was as bad as the counter. And reaching into the basket to get the phone wasn't convenient. 
Phone stand "after": Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, July 2014
I relocated the basket to another room, cleared the clutter, put a sunny yellow towel down for a pop of color, added some cheery decorations and it's like a whole new phone station. Plus, the phone and my sunglasses are a lot easier to reach. I want to find a "smile" saying to put down instead of "inspire" but I was working with what I had on hand. 

All together, including sorting and pulling expired coupons, pulling everything off the counter, cleaning the counter, clearing the clutter, dusting everything that needed it, putting things that belonged somewhere else in their proper homes and everything else that went into this two-spot organization project, it took just over an hour (66 minutes).

Thank you for joining me on my journey to a more organized, simplified home! May God bless Trina of Beginner Beans for providing us this free resource/challenge and may He bless you too!

Sources:
www.beginnerbeans.com
http://www.beginnerbeans.com/2014/03/simplifyinghome-settingup.html

Related posts:
Week 2: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week_14.html
Week 1: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-simplifying-home-8-week-journey-week.html
My home vision: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-home-vision-new-series-on.html

No comments:

Post a Comment