Friday, August 22, 2014

Four Dahlias and a Dianthus for Floral Friday

Classic dahlia: Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
Welcome to "this week in my Maryland garden!" Even though I crammed nine large dahlia plants into a four foot square space, they're producing an abundance of flowers (although I think five dinner plate dahlia plants in this area would be wiser in the future).
Cheerful dahlia: Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
I think this dahlia is my favorite flower of the week. I love the curly multicolored petals with cheerful pink and yellow petals.
Bright pink dianthus: Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
This dianthus survived the winter, almost died from lack of water a few weeks ago and then bounced back to life this week. It's in a window box but I might transfer it to a perennial bed in hopes of it coming back next year. It's grown so much it needs more room to spread.
Bright red dahlia: Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
All of the dahlias in today's post are growing in the same raised bed.  The red and purple are the only single color plants out of the nine in that bed.
Bicolor dahlia: Copyright © by Phyllis Wheeler, 2014
Even with my not getting to deadhead them in the past couple weeks the dahlias are producing an abundance of flowers. I think they're the most prolific bloomers when you consider the entire growing season. Every year I want to grow more and more dahlias. Maybe someday we'll have a dahlia farm.

Thank you for joining me on this week's floral photo tour of my Maryland garden! May God bless and encourage you!

Related posts:
Cat smelling dahlia: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2013/08/cat-enjoys-my-first-dinner-plate-dahlia.html
Dahlia macros: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2013/10/delightful-dahlia-close-up-photos.html
Spring dahlias: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/05/dahlias-ranunculus-azaleas-lilacs-and.html
Dahlias and day lilies: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/06/dahlias-day-lilies-daisies-and-more.html

No comments:

Post a Comment