Tuesday, August 27, 2013

DIY Sleepy Time Tea Recipe

Image by Krosseel
Insomnia and other sleep issues affect a lot of people. However, I was surprised to learn that almost half of America has trouble sleeping. 30-50% of the population struggles with insomnia, according to Get Better ZZZS. In the article by nourishedkitchen.com they recommend this DIY sleepy-time tea to enjoy before bed to "help you unwind and bring on the zzz's.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon dried lemon balm
  • 2 teaspoons dried peppermint
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon dried rose petals
  • 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
  • 2 slices dried licorice root
Directions
Ground the ingredients in a mortar and pestle, then combine with boiling water in a teapot. Strain and enjoy!"

I enjoy a cup of tea as part of my nighttime winding down routine so I thought I'd give my own version of this tea a try. I don't happen to have all of the ingredients listed above on hand but I do plan to dry some of the lemon balm, peppermint, rose petals and lavender flowers from my garden and give that combination a try. If you have digestive woes though, the fennel and licorice would probably be especially beneficial.

On nights when I have trouble sleeping, I still use this hypnosis program. But most of the time my routine helps me wind down and sleep soundly. 

What works for you for good sleep? I hope you have deep, restful sleep tonight! May God bless and keep you and give you deep, restorative sleep!

Source: 
Get Better ZZZS article on page 76 of the Fall 2013 issue of ZLife Magazine (for Zumba Instructors who are ZIN members)

Related articles:
Natural sleep aid: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2011/11/pill-free-natural-sleep-aid.html
Tips for better sleep: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2013/07/4-simple-tips-for-better-sleep-and.html
Happiness tips: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2013/08/75-ways-to-feel-happier.html 

Disclaimer: This post is my opinion only and I wasn't paid or asked to write it. My only connection to anyone or thing mentioned is as a certified Zumba instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment