Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hugs & Affection: Day 27 of 30 Days of Thanksgiving

Image by phaewilk
"Greet one another with a kiss of love.
Peace be to you all who are in Christ."
1 Peter 5:14 (NASB)

Today I'm especially thankful for the abundance of affection in my life and visible around me. I'd been debating between three different topics for today's post. Now that the month is drawing to a close it's getting harder to decide. I could have gone with a list but I wanted this month's blog post series to be a spontaneous exercise in joyful thanksgiving.

Here's what decided it for today. As my husband and I were leaving whole foods this young dad spontaneously gave his toddler son a huge hug and kiss. The little boy received it with great joy and it was clear that this was an interaction that happened frequently as his chubby little arms wrapped even tighter around his dad's neck and his happy giggles were flowing freely. I always want to take photos of such wonderful moments but am hesitant to 1) interrupt said moment and 2) ask strangers to take pictures of their kids. If you're a photographer how do you handle this? Anyway, even though I didn't get a photo it warmed my heart and made me think about how blessed I am in the affection department.

I'm so thankful to be married to Ben and that he gives me ample hugs and affection. When I get to see my family, I know we'll exchange lots of hugs and even just the knowledge of that is comforting, even if it's a decade or more between seeing certain people. My PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) friends tend to be great huggers and I know that when I attend I'll be able to cheer others with hugs and enjoy being hugged as well. I hope that your life is filled with hugs, love and affection! If that's not the case I encourage you to find someone who is lonely and open to hugs and give them the blessing of your affection. May God encourage and bless every lonely person and may He bless you and those you love too!

2 comments:

  1. These are very precious times to see. Hugs are wonderful ways to restore our own spirit and that of others.
    Stumbled across your blog address and decided to drop by and say hi.
    Lori (Zona)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori!

      Thank you for stopping by :) Hope all is well with you! Do you have a non-yahoo blog or writer's page? How are things at yahoo?

      Delete